TOM STEINER VAN DEN OUWEELEN
Teaching diving for me is more than a lifestyle; it's my passion and it's a part of me.
“One important key to extreme diving is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is training and to never overestimate your self-confidence...”
— Tom Steiner
Tom Steiner van den Ouweelen is a Technical Instructor Trainer living in Gozo, Malta. His passion is teaching technical diving and cave diving either in backmount or sidemount configurations. After 40 years in the water Tom's extensive experience will provide you with the most interesting and demanding courses that you could possibly ask for. The training is tough but through this you will become a very good diver.
Tom was born in 1965, in Switzerland, 1 km from Bulle (which means Bubble in French!). He speaks and writes seven languages fluently (EN, F, D, SP, NL, I & HUNG) and also has good knowledge of Arabic. Tom started diving during a holiday in 1979 with an intro dive in Barbados. After returning to Switzerland, he decided to start his diving education in Lake Geneva, (Montreux). 90% of all of Tom's diving education took place in the cold, dark Swiss lakes with the other 10% in the Mediterranean Sea. He started with CMAS adding additional agency certifications with PADI, TDI, SDI, EDA, NRC, IANTD, BSAC, PROTEC, ISE and ANDI Instructor.
After over 25 years of professional diving, Tom has now completed over 13,000 dives and at total of 2,500 hours on rebreathers. He has worked in the diving industry all over the world and has also presented seminars on technical diving at a number of international dive shows and events. He is an EDA Examiner, CMAS Course Director & Examiner, TDI, SDI, PADI TECREC Instructor Trainer, INNERSPACE Explorers Instructor Trainer, PADI Master Scuba Instructor, Master Freediving Instructor and finally a BSAC, ANDI & IANTD Instructor.
Tom has trained instructors all over the planet and is one of the most experienced and sought after Technical Diving Instructor Trainers in the world. Tom has also trained Astronauts at the European Space Agency and performed rebreather training for the Greek Navy and Coast Guard.
In addition to his work as a technical diving instructor, Tom has been involved in providing dive safety at a number of high profile events. In 2000, he organized the AIDA Freediving World Championship at Lake Geneva where his team was responsible for the safety of 48 freedivers. During this event his team had to endure four hours non-stop underwater at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius. Tom has personally acted as safety diver for world renown freedivers Loic Leferme, Fred Buyle, Şahika Ercümen and Sarah Campbell. He has also provided safety diver services to Pascal Bernabe (former world deepest dive record holder at 330 meters), assisting him during his training sessions and deep trimix courses and dives.
Tom has been involved in a number of prominent marine movie projects including "330 Metres Below the Sea" and "22 minutes". He has written and translated books on Rebreather and Nitrox Diving and developed the first Tec Sidemount course in the diving industry. He moved to Gozo in February 2012 after having spent 16 years diving and working in Sinai, Egypt. In Egypt, he was the Manager of Dahab Divers Lodge and then the owner of two dive centers; Fantaseatec and Dahab Divers Technical.
Tom is now located on Gozo, Malta, from March to end October and teaches technical diving courses around the world during the winter in the northern and southern hemisphere.
Total number of dives: 13,000
Rebreather hours: 2,500 (Inspiration, SF1, Draeger, OMG "Azimuth", Voyager)
Cave dives: +2,500 (Spain, France, Mexico, Malta, Egypt)
Dives between 40 to 100 meters: +6,000
Dives between 100-150 meters: +250
Dives between 150-200 meters: 5
First dive: 1979
Training agencies : TDI/SDI, INNERSPACE Explorers and PADI
TDI and SDI Instructor and Course Director Trainer #9045
PADI Instructor Trainer #920652
ISE Instructor Trainer #233
OFFICIAL RAZOR Instructor #41